Conservation Use Covenants, Forest Land Conservation Use, and Homestead Applications Due by April 1, 2018


 All applications for Conservation Use Covenants (new, renewal and continuation) are due by April 1, 2018. Tract requirements are as follows: Vacant tracts must be 10 acres and larger. Tracts with a residential structure must be 12 acres and larger. All tracts must be dedicated to bona fide agricultural uses for 10 years. If a tract with an active Conservation Use Covenant was sold in 2017, the new owner must continue the Covenant. Failure to do so will result in a breach of the Covenant.

Applications for Forest Land Conservation Use are due by April 1, 2018. To qualify, the tract must be at least 200 acres and one half or more must be devoted to timber production. The Covenant length for this program is 15 years. Contact the Assessor’s office for additional details on both of these Covenant programs.

Homestead exemption applications must be completed by April 1, 2018. To qualify, the applicant must own or show an owner’s interest in the land and dwelling. The property must be the owner’s primary residence as of January 1, 2018. The applicant must also purchase their vehicle tags in Jasper County and have the new address on a state issued ID. There are additional homestead exemptions available to those 62 or 65 and older. To qualify, the applicant must be 62 or 65 on January 1, 2018 and the household income does not exceed $10,000 after tax deductions and a reduction of $66,912 from retirement and/or SSI income. Proof of income is required for application.

There are also additional homestead exemptions for the following:

100% Disabled Veteran from wartime injury, Unremarried surviving spouse of 100% Disabled Veteran from wartime injury, Unremarried spouse of US Service Member killed in action, Unremarried spouse of Firefighter or Peace Officer killed in the line of duty.

All property is required to be returned at its fair market value as of January 1 of each year. Returns are due by April 1 of each year. If a return (owner’s estimate of value) is not submitted, the property is deemed to have been returned at the previous year’s value.

Regular Homestead applications are available at the Tax Commissioner’s office (706-468-4902).

The Senior Homestead applications, Conservation Use, and property returns are available at the Tax Assessor’s office (706-468-4904).